Sunday, August 8, 2010

Roadtrip, Day 1 - Columbia to Pittsburgh

Today was a day of travel for me. Originally we had planned on going to Williamsburg for a couple days to start with but we decided this morning to cut a few days off the trip and head staight to Pittsburgh.

Most of the day was spent driving on I-77 and I-79. Now, I think this is the longest time I've spent in West Virginia in recent memory, driving through for about 4 hours. You hear all the stories about West Virginia and I must say...all of those stories are true!

Today I must have seen about 8 really fat guys wearing sleeveless shirts with big ole tatoos on their arms driving those long vans with the windows down, a camo hat on, and a cigarette in their mouth. I can only imagine how many Cameros they own...

Anyhow. Today we went to the Duquesne Incline in Pittsburgh. We got there around sunset and were able to see the sun setting over the hills beyond the city. The incline overlooks the river and all of the city - which is a pretty cool view. I was able to see Heinz Field and a few other cool buildings. The thing that surprised me though is the size of Pittsburgh - it's a bit smaller than I would have imagined. Not Columbia small, but I'm pretty sure Atlanta is a lot larger than Pittsburgh.

Anyhow, tomorrow I will be in Canada (if they let me in...) and should be taking a boat ride into Niagara Falls. I hope I don't drown.

Until next time...

No comments: