Wednesday, February 3, 2010

More Taiwan Stuff

soooooooooo

The plan - as of now - is me leaving for Taiwan on February 21...18 days from now!! It's getting really close, but I am excited and ready for it.

I sent off my visa application papers on Monday, got a call from the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office (TECO...which is like their embassy, since we don't actually recognize Taiwan as a country...or as part of another country...) saying I filled something out wrong, but in 5 minutes we got it all straightened out. So now, I'm waiting for the multiple entry vistor visa to be processed and my passport to be sent back to me.

And this should take all of maybe 10 business days (I'm thinking I could have my passport back by Saturday).

Contrast this with my application process for a substitute teaching certificate from the Arizona Department of Public Safety. I sent in their requested things for my clearance card on January 4, and as of today, still haven't even gotten my clearance card back from them. After the clearance card has been processed and sent to me, then I can apply for a teaching certificate which should take about 2 weeks (and without this, I cannot get my work visa, and hence, won't be getting paid til that is processed). I've talked with a few people who are already over in Taiwan and they all say that I probably will be in Taiwan before I get my teaching cert, but that once its receieved someone can just scan it over and it should all be groovy.

Things I still need to do include setting up my IBan routing number, but since my primary bank is a small credit union, I need to set up an account with BoA or Wachovia (Wells Fargo for those who REALLY care). I still nneed to get electrical adapters, and I need to get a new pair of glasses, since mine are broken.

But in other news...

FRANK FREAKING TURNER CONCERT ON FEBRUARY 19!!!! I've been looking forward to this concert for a long time. The ticket says no cameras...which is truly a bummer if they are enforcing that. Camera phones? I think so. Oh, and he's the supporting show for Flogging Molly. Best. Concert. Ever.

Well, I think that about does it for now. I'll be back with something interesting to write about soon. I just know it...

No comments: